Murray Rothbard explains the origins of money, its use in a free society, and the obfuscation of the function of money by the government. The free market creates money; government destroys it for its own ends. Part 6 of 6.
Topics covered in this episode:
- How the gold standard broke down over the past two hundred years
- Phase 1: The Classical Gold Standard, 1815-1914
- Phase 2: World War I and After
- Phase 3: The Gold Exchange Standard, 1926-1931
- Phase 4: Fluctuating Fiat Currencies, 1931-1945
- Phase 5: Bretton Woods and the New Gold Exchange Standard, 1945-1968
- Phase 6: The Unraveling of Bretton Woods, 1968-1971
- Phase 7: The End of Bretton Woods, Aug-Dec 1971
- Phase 8: The Smithsonian Agreement, Dec 1971-Feb 1973
- Phase 9: Fluctuating Fiat Currencies, March 1973 – Present
DOWNLOAD THE BOOK
Murray N. Rothbard, What Has Government Done to Our Money?
Help out the show on Patreon!
Nixon goes off gold